Paper Mill Playhouse is a nationally recognized center dedicated to preserving the art form of American musical theater as it re-imagines classic musicals and plays. The Paper Mill’s award-winning arts education, artist training and outreach programs impact thousands of students each year.
In 1795, Samuel Campbell opened The Thistle Paper Mill on the site of the current Paper Mill Playhouse. The mill was destroyed by a fire in the 1860s, then rebuilt and used for another 35 years. In 1934, Antoinette Scudder purchased the then-derelict paper mill with the vision of creating a permanent repertory theater. It opened in November 1938.
Of Special Note: