Acorn Hall, the headquarters of the Morris County Historical Society, was built in 1853 as a modest private residence but was modified and enlarged by Augustus Crane between 1857 and 1860. Acorn Hall passed through four generations of Crane and Crane-Hone families until it was donated, fully furnished, to MCHS in 1971. Noted for its original 19th-century furniture, finishes, and fine and decorative arts, Acorn Hall is one of the best-preserved examples of 19th-century cultural history in NJ. Acorn Hall also houses two galleries where MCHS displays rotating exhibits on local and NJ history featuring the organization’s collections and archival holdings.
The Morris County Historical Society regularly hosts cultural exhibits and special programming at Acorn Hall. The Gallery Gift Shop sells a popular variety of Victorian-inspired locally made gifts.
Of Special Note: