Among the Hanover Township Landmark Commission’s jobs is to restore and repair historic gravestones, like those in the famous Whippany Burying Yard. Preserving the oldest cemetery in northern New Jersey, which dates back to 1718, is the Commission’s pride and joy. Whippany was the first village established in Morris County, so this is where a number of the county’s firsts establishments happened, like the first school, the first church, the first military company and the first industry (the “Old Iron Works” iron forge).
A number of famous men visited Hanover Township during the Revolutionary War, including George Washington, Alexander Hamilton, Benedict Arnold, and Generals Rochambeau and Lafayette. The Hanover Landmark Commission installs exhibits in the Municipal Building and conducts special historical seminars throughout the year.
Of Special Note: