Do you need fresh ideas of what to do with the kids this summer? Morris County has plenty of options! Here are 10 suggestions of things to do with kids:
1. Museum of Early Trades and Crafts, Madison, Travel Stories : METC invites the community, including kids, to share their summer travel stories. It will be enjoyable and interesting to compare 21st-century travel with 19th-century travel depicted in our current exhibit, Are We There Yet? Stories of Travel by Stagecoach & Steam. You can stop by METC to pick up a passport to record stories. METC will track where the community travels this summer and see how far and wide the reach can be!
2. Blueberry and Raspberry picking at Alstead’s Farms, Chester: Have fun picking your own berries and even more fun eating them!
3. Bickford Theatre Children’s Theatre, Morristown: Upcoming shows include Lasermania and Beauty & the Beast. Great entertainment just for the kids!
4. August 7th National Night Out @Mennen Sports Arena, Morris Township: FREE food, FREE entertainment, FREE ice skating, and giveaways! Join the Morris County Park Police and over 40 law enforcement and community agencies for an evening of awareness and fun. Explore a variety of emergency vehicles, including fire trucks, police motorcycles, ambulances, enjoy a live DJ featuring top hits, and play fun games to win prizes.
5. July 19-22 Morris County 4-H Fair, Chester: Enjoy project animal shows (i.e. dog, goat, horse, poultry, rabbit, cavy and small animals), amusement rides, pony rides, hay rides, petting zoos, watermelon eating contest, cake decorating contest, and dress-a-pet contest. And more!
6. July 22 New Jersey Audubon: Moths & other Pollinators, Bernardsville: Come and enjoy an illustrated program on the pollination strategies of day and night-flying moths, birds, bees and butterflies. A short trail walk will follow to check out the fields for moths and butterflies.
7. July-August Frelinghuysen Arboretum, Family Photo Scavenger Hunt, Morris Township: Grab a camera or phone and stop by the Haggerty Education Center for a nature photo scavenger hunt. Visitors can pick up the list, head outside and shoot away. Take a picture of every item, return to the Education Center and pick up your prize.
8. Swimming at Sunrise Lake Beach at Lewis Morris Park: For special fun, run, jump, climb, and splash across the Wibit, an inflatable obstacle course that offers fun for anyone age 7 and older. Don’t miss an opportunity to slide down the Zoom Floom, play volleyball on the beach, or build castles in the sand.
9. Free Summer Events in Morristown, concerts, movies and beyond: Movies include the classic Ghostbusters, as well as Coco, Sing, and many more!
10. Morristown Nation Historical Park: Discover History Center, Morristown: These immersive, interactive, exhibits will engage visitors of all ages with hands-on and multi-media experiences to explore the stories of Morristown, the Continental Army, General Washington, and Continental Congress during the years that “tried men’s souls.”