Morris County is home to four important National Historic Landmarks. They include the Gustav Stickley homestead, the Morristown National Historical Park, the Thomas Nast home and the factory building where the telgraph was demonstrated successfully for the first time. We are very proud of our history of innovation which has contributed to the growth and development of America, especially in the arts and communications. The National Landmarks are The Stickley Museum at Craftsman Farms, Morristown National Historical Park, Villa Fontana and Historic Speedwell.
30 Washington Place, Morristown, New Jersey 07960 - 4299
973-539-2016 x 210 or 973-543-4030
All park areas are open 362 days a year, seven days a week. The park buildings are closed Thanksgiving Day, December 25, and January 1.
Morristown National Historical Park was established on March 2, 1933 as the nation’s first designated “National Historical Park”. The National Park Service at Morristown National Historical Park preserves, protects and maintains the landscapes, structures, features, archeological resources and collections of the Continental Army winter encampments, the headquarters of General George Washington, and related Revolutionary War sites at Morristown for the benefit and inspiration of the public. The park interprets the history and subsequent commemoration of these encampments and the extraordinary fortitude of the officers and enlisted men under Washington’s leadership.
Attracted by Morristown’s strategic location, including defensible terrain, important communication routes, access to critical resources, and a supportive community, General Washington chose it as the site for the main Continental Army encampment during two winters of the War for Independence. The park encompasses most of the ground occupied by the army during the vast 1779-80 encampment, as well as smaller encampments in subsequent years, and the site of the fortification from the 1777 encampment.
The winter of 1779-80, the most severe of the century, brought great suffering to the Continental Army at Morristown. Despite this and many other adversities, General Washington demonstrated his leadership by holding the army together as an effective fighting force. The Ford Mansion, where Washington made his headquarters, is an important feature of the park and recalls civilian contributions to the winning of independence.
Morristown’s resources of the War for Independence were first preserved by the Washington Association of New Jersey, an important early success of the nation’s historic preservation movement. Later public and private efforts, sustained by federal action following the designation of Morristown as the first National Historical Park, protected the outstanding resources the park now manages.
The national park consists of four non-contiguous units including the Washington’s Headquarters Unit, the Fort Nonsense Unit, the Jockey Hollow Unit, and the New Jersey Brigade Area. The park features two original structures, the Ford Mansion in Morristown and the Wick House in Jockey Hollow. There are approximately 27 miles of walking trails in the Jockey Hollow Unit.
Historic Ford Mansion
Washington’s Headquarters Unit consists of two primary structures situated on 16 acres: the historic Ford Mansion and the Washington’s Headquarters Museum. The Ford Mansion is an original 18th-century structure and was built 1772-74. It is furnished in the style of the period. The mansion was General Washington's military headquarters for six months during the winter of 1779-80. Guided tours of the Ford Mansion are offered daily. The historic house has limited accessibility to individuals with mobility impairments.
Washington’s Headquarters Museum
The 1930s Washington's Headquarters Museum is open daily from 9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. The museum features three exhibit galleries and an introductory video. The park’s private partner, the Washington Association of New Jersey, continues to raise funds to complete the renovation of the exhibit galleries. The museum also offers a gift shop/ sales area and restrooms, and serves as the visitor contact point to begin the Ford Mansion tours.
Jockey Hollow Visitor Center
The Jockey Hollow Visitor Center was built in 1975 and serves as the central area for visitor contact in the Jockey Hollow Unit of the park. It offers a staffed visitor reception desk and a gift shop/ sales area. An introductory video is offered. Also presented are a furnished full-scale soldier hut display, information on the natural aspects of the park, and a large wall mural to aid the visitor’s visualization of the 1779-1780 encampment. Public restrooms are available. While there is no entrance fee to Jockey Hollow, park passes (which can be used at the Washington’s Headquarters unit) are sold at the Jockey Hollow Visitor Center. Tours of the historic Wick House might begin at the Visitor Center during inclement weather. The visitor center is open 9:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.
Historic Wick House
The historic Wick House was built c. 1750. It served as military headquarters for Major General Arthur St. Clair during the 1779-80 Jockey Hollow Encampment of the Continental Army. The National Park Service restored the Wick House in 1934. It is furnished in the style of an 18th-century farmhouse of some means and interpreted by staff members in period costume. Eighteenth-century cooking or crafts demonstrations are often offered at the Wick House on weekends. Adjacent is the Kitchen Garden that is maintained by the Northern NJ Chapter of the Herb Society of America. Depending upon staff availability, the Wick House is open daily from 9:30 a.m. – noon and 1:00 p.m. - 4:30 p.m.
The Jockey Hollow unit’s Pennsylvania Line consists of five reproduction-Continental Army soldier huts built in the 1960s. They represent a small portion of the huts once located on this site during the 1779-80 Continental Army winter encampment. The huts are not staffed on a regular basis, but individuals may visit the huts from park opening until closing. There are no amenities, water, or restroom facilities in this area. The soldier huts are at the top of a hill and only can be reached by walking up the hill.
New York Brigade Area & New Jersey Brigade Areas
Activities in these two separate areas are primarily trail access and hiking. The location of the park’s main Trail Head Center is located within the New York Brigade area. The New Jersey Brigade Area lies to the south of the Jockey Hollow Unit. Park visitors can obtain a color-coded trail map of the park’s complete trail system at the Jockey Hollow Visitor Center between 9 a.m. and 5 p.m., or download the map from the park’s web site: www.nops.gov/morr .
Cross Estate Gardens
The Cross property was acquired in the 1970s as part of the New Jersey Brigade area. The New Jersey Brigade site, consisting of about 321 acres, preserves the 1779-1780 winter encampment site of 1000 troops from the New Jersey Brigade. The New Jersey Brigade and Patriots’ Path hiking trails go through the property. The Cross Estate Gardens are maintained by the New Jersey Historical Garden Foundation, an all-volunteer organization. The gardens are open at 8 a.m. and close in the evening seasonally.
This unit of the park was the site of an earthwork fortification built by Washington’s troops in the spring of 1777 on what was then called Kinney’s Hill. Its purpose was to protect the main roads leading north and south and the military storehouses in Morristown. Due to later folklore, the site acquired the name “Fort Nonsense”. Site interpretation includes seven wayside exhibits, a vista clearing overlooking Morristown, and a small monument. Picnic tables are available. Fort Nonsense is open daily, 9 a.m. until sunset. There are no amenities, water, or restroom facilities at Fort Nonsense. Fort Nonsense is not staffed.
The Washington’s Headquarters unit of Morristown National Historical Park charges a $4.00 entrance fee that is valid for seven days park-wide. Visitors 16 years and older are required to pay the fee. A Morristown Annual Park Pass is available for $15.00 and is valid for 12 months. Visitors may choose to purchase an Interagency Annual Pass for $80.00; a Senior Pass for $10.00, or an Access Pass, provided free of charge for citizens with permanent disabilities. There are no special tour group prices or organizational discounts.
Washington’s Headquarters Museum
Jockey Hollow Visitor Center
Jockey Hollow’s New York Brigade Area Comfort Station